Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Louisville Derby Festival Marathon Training Week #1

Last week was the first week of my 16-week training cycle for the Louisville Derby Festival Marathon. Going into this training cycle I am both very excited and incredibly nervous. I spent all of 2015 injured with/recovering from ITBS, so this will be my first marathon in 1.5 years (my last marathon was Marine Corps in October 2014). Going into Marine Corps I was in the best shape of my adult life, and I worry that I won't be able to get back into that kind of shape. And since Marine Corps was such a painful struggle, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a different kind of fear of 26.2 miles. Before, I certainly respected the distance but I never doubted I could conquer it--but Marine Corps darn near broke me, and the seed of doubt--which sprouts fear--was planted. I will be working on mind strength this training cycle as well as physical strength (more on that in a later post). But, despite my nerves and fears, I am so glad and excited to be training again and I'm looking forward to seeing how I grow and change as a runner over the next 16 weeks.

So this time around I am working with a real training plan  : )  When I trained for Marine Corps I stuck to a schedule--usually 4-5 runs per week, with a speed workout and a hill workout and a long run each week, a ten-mile run in the middle, and a shorter run somewhere along the way if I could fit it in--but I didn't really have a plan. I ran all of the miles at race-pace or faster.  I had no idea what I was doing, my goal was just to put the miles in and make sure I could hit the desired paces. Well, that backfired. I realize now that I way over-trained (I started training for the October race in early May!) and that I lacked structured, focused workouts. This time around I am doing a training plan that consists of just three very focused runs per week. I will be running far less miles but there will be quality over quantity. Part of the reason I chose this plan is because, coming off injury, I want to make sure I don't over-do it; and because one of my BRFs Keith used this same plan and BQed twice : )  I tagged along with several of his runs and know that this plan is challenging, but that it yields success if you stick with it.

In addition to the running plan, I am cross-training 2-3 times per week and incorporating 30 minutes of strength and core 5 times per week. I allow myself one complete day of rest.

Here's how training week #1 looked:

Monday
30 minutes strength and core in the form of Jillian Michaels's 6-Week Six Pack level 1 workout

Tuesday
Speed work

Prescribed: 3 x 1600 @ 6:51 w/ 400 RI (plus warm up and cool down)

Actual:
1 mi warm-up (8:23)
3 x 1600 @ 6:49 w/ 400 RI (@10:00)
.5 mi cool down

I did this workout on the treadmill because it was very windy outside and I did not want to fight for the paces (or not hit them at all). The treadmill pace was either 6:53 or 6:49, so I went with the faster pace. I was really nervous about this workout because it is pretty much what a 5K RACE would look like for me)--but I told myself with the 400 rest intervals it would be just fine. The first two intervals were good--I was feeling it during the second one but nothing I couldn't maintain--but by the last mile of the third interval I was just hanging on. And, as you can see, at a 10:00 rest interval pace I really needed those rests! Overall I was pleased.

I also did a 30 minute strength workout

Wednesday
Swim

2000 yards (about 50 minutes)

Thursday
Tempo run

Prescribed: 2 miles easy, 2 miles @ 7:23, 2 miles easy

Actual: 2 miles easy (8:31, 8:23), 2 tempo miles (7:11, 7:21), 2 easy miles (9:02, 8:26)

Although it was a gorgeous day out there--blue skies, sunshine, 50-some degrees--it was awfully windy and tempo miles were a bit of a struggle, especially since I ran through the park (which is always windier than everywhere else even on a good day). I will admit, I actually intended to do this workout on the treadmill so as to avoid the wind, but all the treadmills were taken so I had no choice but to do it outside. I managed to hang on to the paces despite the wind and felt good about the workout.

I also did a 30 minute strength workout

Friday
REST

I had hoped to at least do a 30-minute strength workout, but my in-laws were visiting, my husband was gone for a bit during the evening, and we'd had our new mattress delivered and had to get that all set up, so I decided not to stress about fitting in a workout

Saturday
Long run

Prescribed: 13 mi @ 8:37
Actual: 13 mi @ 8:17

It was really nice going into this run with permission to run slower than an 8:30 pace. (For some reason, I have it in my head that if I run slower than 8:30 I am not training hard enough. Normally I strive for 8:20s even on "easy" runs.) Even so, I thought 8:37 was kind of slow and decided to just run a comfortable pace--not pushing it at all, just nice and easy--and see where the paces were. The splits looked like this: 8:17, 8:22, 8:11, 8:18, 8:19, 8:15, 8:02, 8:24, 8:13, 8:24, 8:22, 8:28, 8:27. It was a good even-paced run and I came away happy.

Sunday
REST

Normally I would do some sort of cross-training after a long run, especially since I had just had a complete rest day two days prior and just one day of cross-training. But my husband and I were kid-free and I wanted to take full advantage of being able to spend the entire day with him, completely uninterrupted. So we went antiquing and ate junk food : )



I feel good about how the first week of training went! I really like having a plan--I don't have to think about the runs, I just do what the schedule says, which makes is easy. And going into the training cycle, doing just three runs a week makes the training seem very manageable when I'm incredibly busy at work, my husband also has to fit in several training works each week (he is training for a spring 50K), and the kids have a slew of activities going on. I'm in the middle of training week 2 now and am already having to improvise due to being out of town for two days and staying home with the kids for snow days....I'll update you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment